On 12 November 2018, Wirral's Labour Cabinet held a secret meeting with senior directors. Against each of the 50 possible Green Belt sites at risk, Labour councillors were asked whether they would 'reject' building on them, or 'accept' building on them. The results of that meeting were presented back to the Cabinet, again in secret, a week later.
Wirral's Conservative Councillors learned of these secret meetings and obtained a copy of the presentation after requests to the Chief Executive. We believe you have a right to know the sites that Labour has 'accepted' for development - you can see the presentation for yourself by clicking on this link.
There is only one way to stop this: make sure Labour doesn't have outright control of our Council on 2nd May. Every vote for the local Conservatives is a vote to save Wirral's Green Belt.
Wirral's Conservatives Councillors will bring more of the 6,000 empty homes back into use and we'll produce a Local Plan that works for Wirral, protecting our precious Green Belt while encouraging development in the urban areas, including Wirral Waters.
So far, Wirral's Conservative Councillors have:
- Opposed Labour's plans to build on our Green Belt, including the 'Hoylake Golf Resort' and Saughall Massie
- Argued for a Local Plan to protect our Borough
- Called for developers to be directed to the urban areas
- Organised public meetings for residents to find out more
Nationally, we have:
- Introduced stronger protections for the Green Belt
- Scrapped Labour's Regional Planning Strategies
- Asked for councils to give their views on housing targets (Wirral's Labour Council never responded)
- Taken action against councils that have failed to produce a Local Plan